Saturday, September 20, 2014

Bright Eyes

You came into this world already alert and curious. In the hospital, the nurses called you Bright Eyes.
You are adventurous, confident,  fiercely independent and brave. Very very brave. Qualities I hope to see you hold onto and develop as you grow.
You are wild. I wouldn't change it for the world.
But deep down, your fearlessness terrifies me.
Because keeping you safe is hard to do when you are always looking for something to climb, an edge to get close to and a new adventure to have.
And somehow Jack Vincent, I know that this is only the beginning. That I will be having these feelings for a long time. Because you will continue to test limits. Yours and mine.
Right now you are my little boy. I can watch closely as you explore. Intervene when necessary. It won't always be so.
I will try hard to walk the line between safety and smothering.
I might hold on too tightly at times. Be patient with me. It isn't because I don't believe in you or your abilities. I do. Its because I'm your mom.
We will find our balance.
I know you'll need freedom and room to grow.
First I'll teach you and then I'll have to trust you to be brave but not careless. Adventurous but not reckless.
I want you to always be courageous and curious.
I am going to have to let you fall. You are going to have to learn to get up.
I want your bright eyes to find all that they seek. Knowledge. Experience. Life.
You are going to do really great things kid. I know it.


No comments:

Post a Comment