Sunday, August 30, 2015

Even My Worst Days


This past Thursday Jack and I attended a funeral. I promised my mom that morning we would not be late. At some point as I ran around in a frenzy trying to get myself ready and the diaper bag packed I left the bathroom door open. I could hear Jack playing and having the best time. Imagine my surprise when I ran out of my room to check on him and found him splashing in spilled toilet water. I am not kidding… This was the best part of my day. 
We did reach the funeral on time. However things went downhill from there. I could tell you a traumatizing story involving my toddler, a wheelchair, a casket, a body and the door to the embalming room. But I know writing it down would commit the details to memory and at the moment I am really hoping to forget. Lets just say I sat in the car and cried before driving home. 
Later that evening I was watching this video because it is hilarious and has become my go to on hard days. I've seen it so many times now, but I laugh through the whole thing every time. And then I feel better. Anyway I was watching the video when it hit me how profoundly grateful I am to understand these jokes on a personal level. That I get to experience the struggle. I love that my life is ran by a two year old boy with a wild heat. I don't always love it in the moment. But it is without a doubt the best thing ever. Having kids is such a privilege and a blessing. I don't ever want to take it for granted. Because even my worst days with Jack are a million times better than my best days before him. 
Although there are a few moments I hope I forget there are so many more I hope I can always remember. Family is everything. And my family is pretty dang awesome. 



1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, I'm dying to hear the funeral story however I understand not wanting to commit it to memory. Jack sure has lots of energy! Luckily he is really cute-I'm sure that helps make up for the hard days too.

    ReplyDelete