Saturday, November 1, 2014

I am a Stay At Home Mother

I am a stay at home mother. I bring home zero dollars and zero cents every pay period. It isn't because I don't work. I actually work very hard. I could give you the same old stay at home mom speech we have all heard before. About the time off that I never ever get. How sick days and holidays are still work days. In fact they are the days I work a considerable amount of overtime. I could tell you how I am constantly multitasking or how I never sleep. I could tell you that it gets lonely. If I worked outside the home I would at least be guaranteed an adult conversation and a chance to go to the bathroom without little fingers sticking under the door.  I could tell you how hard it is to be a stay at home mom.
But the truth is no matter how you do it being a mom is hard work.
Instead I just want to say- it is my greatest honor and privilege to stay home with my son.  The work I am doing now, the position I hold as a mother, is the single most important job I will ever have. I am both proud and humbled to be able to do it full time.
This morning I was pretty angry over President Obama's public shaming of stay at home mothers. A quick look around the world wide web will show you I am not the only one who felt this way.
But then I spent the day with my family. Tonight I will going to bed feeling nothing but grateful.
Sorry Obama it might not be, "a choice we want Americans to make" (I don't know who this "we" is. I didn't get a vote) But it is the choice I have made. The choice my family has made. Without a doubt the most rewarding choice we have ever made.





No comments:

Post a Comment