Saturday, November 5, 2011

Remember Remember the 5th of November, how it used to be.

It snowed last night in Logan for the first time this year. It is pretty late for the first snow in Logan. Parker and I were so excited. I wanted to go out in it, but Parker reminding me that we been to the specialty hospital that morning for a minor throat procedure I needed to take it easy. Which he was right about, my optimistic prediction that by today I would feel myself again hasn't exactly been spot on, but I'm getting better. But so we settled for a drive through the first snow, and it was really beautiful. And it was a lot of fun to go for a drive and not end up at the doctors :)
Want to know what else is fun? A holiday in which the key celebration is lighting stuff on fire. Who doesn't want a bonfire holiday?? Parker and I decided that our little family would celebrate Guy Fawkes day they way they do in England. By having fun bonfires!
Guy Fawkes is a pretty famous English traitor. He and 12 others on November 5, 1605 tried to blow up Parliament with barrels of gun powder. (They wanted a Catholic on the throne) They were caught and Fawkes was executed and King James I was saved.
So now in England people have bonfires to celebrate Guy Fawkes not blowing up Parliament. Oh how simple and fun it would be but this year world wide Guy Fawkes day is taking a political turn. Oh Occupy Wall Street Movement... . Take what should be a fun day of lighting fires and make it all about you. That'll show the 1 %.
I guess its okay seeing as I am too sick to do the whole fire thing this year anyway. But next year we plan on taking back this holiday full force. With no political undertones. Just fire fun and maybe some smores.

No comments:

Post a Comment