Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Sons of Baseball

Parker and I had one of the most amazing experiences this past weekend. We were able to attend a Sons of Baseball Foundation fundraiser. This is an incredible organization bringing joy to some very special kids and their families. We had met Nathan Glad before at a golf tournament, it is truly an uplifting experience to be around him. He has a huge love for life and of course baseball. Hearing him talk about his trip to Anaheim to see the Angels play puts the biggest smile on my face. He reminds me why I love baseball so much.  
Ozzie Smith "The Wizard of Oz" was the keynote speaker at the fundraiser. Which was particularly exciting for me. When I was about five my family went to a Cardinals game. It was my first MLB experience. Being so young, I don't remember much. But do you know what I do remember? A player doing a back flip on the field. We actually got to meet Ozzie Smith and he was so so nice. While walking up to meet him Parker instructed me not to "geek out" at him. I did my best. 
Showed my true Utah colors when I pointed out to Parker who Jerry Sloan was. It was basically a huge deal because I knew something sports related that he did not. We also got to talk for a bit with Frank Layden. Who is really incredible and turns out has quite the singing voice. I think someday I'll make Parker a Jazz fan. 
As if I wasn't already on cloud nine… we walked out of there with two baseballs, one signed by Ozzie Smith and one signed by Mark Teixeira! Best. Date. Ever. 
But the very best part was seeing how happy all of this makes these kids and their families. There was actually a baseball diamond set up at the event where the kids were playing. They had a young local baseball team come in to play with them, they were also passing out crackerjacks.  




Because when we were looking through pictures, we realized good old Coach Sloan totally photo bombed me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment